Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Africa 2012

So once again, I was blessed to travel to Korah, a suburb of Ethiopia, Africa.   My takeaway this trip is different.  I have seen in the last two years, such despair, such poverty; but this time HOPE is prevalent.  These sweet kids have grown physically because they have been provided with food, but more than that, emotionally and physically, they have HOPE with God.   They have seen the foundation of love and trust laid with Project 61 and the many who come to visit and return.

I walked the streets of Korah, with mud and muck all around.  My sweet sponsored child, Askele, holds my hand and pulls me around the worst areas.  She stands in front of a stray dog, trying to shoo it away, so I can pass.  Then she shields me when it doesn't leave, protecting me.

My heart is full.


My heart is broken.

To leave her.  To leave these sweet, precious teenage girls.  Who will disciple them, love them, teach them, laugh with them?





I was blessed to work in the medical clinic again.  To help treat patients with lice, leprosy, ear infections, coughs.  To organize and clean.  And I had never been happier.

our medical team!



And this amazing group!  Of big personalities, many talents, 3 teenagers.  But God knit us together, some to teach, some to sing, some to do medical work.  And nothing was lacking.



                              And to take Askele to lunch, sharing pizza and foosball and games.


                                              and to play and see that huge grin on her face!
 

                                                   and to celebrate her birthday.  She is 16!




So now what?  I am here and you are there.  I am forever changed, again.


I am happy and I am sad.

Another truth that I have found, is that MY ANCHOR holds strong.  When I come home to chaos, to a job that doesn't pan out, to illness, to jet-lag and insomnia wrapped together:  I remember I AM.  

I AM:  the Alpha and Omega; who was and is and is to come.
I AM: the Almighty!  Rev. 1:8

So I am holding on to MY ANCHOR tonight.  

0 comments: