Thursday, May 6, 2010

Africa-Part 1

UGANDA

The first portion of our trip was visiting Uganda, Africa. We visited two ministries in Uganda, Amazima Ministries with Katie Davis and Canaan's Children's Home.

This is Pastor Isaac and his wife Rebecca. He has an amazing testimony, a true martyr for Christ who was shot and left to die for his beliefs. He lived, was reunited with his wife and 20 years later now runs Canaan's Children's Home. They are the most loving, most joyful, most welcoming people, I have ever met! The children who live here are truly blessed to be surrounded with loving, Christian leaders.




the playground at Canaan's


this is how they cook for the children. 105 children live at Canaan's.


one of the bedrooms. the children are divided by ages and sex and have a "nanny" who sleeps in their room.


the school room for the younger children



While staying at Canaan's, we walked the surrounding streets and countryside. Many children followed us for several miles. Children carrying siblings and caring for young babies. Children with no shoes, no pants or underwear. We saw firsthand the poverty of Uganda and realized what a blessing Canaan's Children's Home really is. The hope, the joy, the love they display truly displays the glory of God and not the poverty.

This is Esther. She is 16 and helps make the beaded necklaces. We bought almost all they had.

Malia and Cherrie painting toe nails.

Tracey and Carrie hanging with the older teenage boys.

We walked about a mile down the road to the older children's school. We sang songs, did skits, and played with the children one afternoon.

the school


it was humbling to see our laundry hanging...

passing out silly bandz to the street children

this little girl is responsible for caring for her baby sister all day so her mother can work. she is 7.

this little guy held my hand the entire way we walked. with no shoes, no pants, no underwear. yes, I carried him a long way.

the children swarmed to Brian and Scott, the two men on are trip.

walking the streets

local houses

loving on the kids

a store right off the street



This is Alan Kiyembe. He is 4 today, May 6, 2010. His mother is a teenage girl who was raped and now lives in the city. Alan has been at the orphanage since birth. He is one of the lucky ones, to be living at the orphanage and not on the streets.
From the moment I stepped off the bus at Canaan's, I was surrounded by children and pulled in six directions at once. I looked down, and Alan, was wrapped around my right leg. The children led us to some seats and performed a little program for us. Alan sat on my lap and reluctantly would go to the stage each time he had to sing. He would always come right back to my lap.

We played together for 2 days. He doesn't talk very much, but would talk to me. I sang a lot of songs to Alan.

Alan with bubbles.

We took a tour of the orphanage on day 2. I carried him the whole morning with his head down on my shoulder. He would not let go.



I fell in love with Uganda, with Canaan's Children's Home. (This is the first place I lost my heart, the second being Korah) When we drove away, the only thing I kept thinking was I was leaving my child behind.

My only saving grace in the van was a song, Yours, by Steven Curtis Chapman:

I walked the dirt roads of Uganda.
I see the scars that war has left behind.
I see the sun is fading, they are waiting for a cure they'll never find
And I hear the children's voices singing
of a God who heals and rescues and restores.
And I'm reminded, that every child in Africa is YOURS.

Happy Birthday, Alan. I love you.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

choked up. That is one cute little boy and I'm so thankful you were the one God chose to love on him for those two days.

~H

Mr. and Mrs. Jackson said...

So sweet. What an amazing experience... thank you for sharing. :)

Ashley said...

Pamela... no words, just a broken heart with you for this sweet boy!